If you are looking for a healthier alternative to pasteurized milk, here are five reasons to have raw milk instead:
1. Raw milk is rich in proteins, enzymes, and vitamins. Included in raw milk is bacteria that is not only beneficial, but which acts as an anti-viral agent as well. In addition, the high level of calcium in raw milk allows for the strengthening of bones as well as increased growth levels.
A recent study produced these findings: “Raw milk contains two and a half times more IgG enzyme that pasteurized milk.” Why is this important? It can prevent diarrhea in infants.
2. Raw milk’s counterpart, pasteurized milk, is said to contain lower amounts of all of the essential amino acids, nutrients, and vitamins that are necessary in maintaining overall health. Moreover, the “good” bacteria in raw milk is destroyed by the pasteurization and leaves the body more defenseless against other bacteria that can be harmful. This is why pasteurized milk deteriorates while raw milk simply turns sour.
Research also indicates that there is approximately 33% more natural vitamin C in raw milk than in pasteurized milk. Vitamins A, B, and C in combination with enzymes are all destroyed in the pasteurization process and thereby leave the gates open for pathogens.
3. While regular milk only contains 16% casein protein, raw milk contains 80% casein. Casein allows for slow digestion of proteins that contribute to muscle growth.
Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin found in raw milk. Unless children consume a great deal of meat and eggs (or raw meat, which is not at all healthy), vitamin B12 can be missing from their diets.
4. Research asserts that raw milk can prevent serious illnesses such as tuberculosis, asthma, flu, diphtheria, and related illnesses. It can also lower cholesterol. Pasteurized milk, on the other hand, has been attributed to the development of these diseases and can also promote dental decay.
In a clinical trial where approximately seventy children were given raw milk and pasteurized milk, one child who drank pasteurized milk developed TB.
5. Raw milk has additional health benefits as well. It can prevent osteoporosis, allergies, slow growth development in children, anemia, skin infections, and other illnesses. Conversely, studies clearly indicate that pasteurize milk has been the source of illnesses such as tuberculosis, E. coli, and salmonella.
While these are just five reasons why raw milk is arguably better for you, consumers are slowly re-defining raw milk and its health benefits. There are opponents who will never entertain the idea that raw milk is as beneficial as proponents claim, and this debate is sure to continue.
However, it should be noted that 1% of the population drinks raw milk and that in itself says something about where this argument may be headed.