Global warming is a worldwide problem. People often think that they are powerless to stop it, but nothing could be further from the truth. If everyone took the time to make some small adjustments to the way they do things, it could make a significant impact. Here are fifteen things you can do to fight global warming:
1. Adjust your driving habits. Maximize your gas mileage by driving at a reasonable speed, keeping your car well maintained and keeping your tires properly inflated. And when it’s time to buy a new car, consider a hybrid – or at least a regular model that is easy on gas.
2. Walk, ride a bike, carpool or take public transportation whenever possible.
3. Purchase energy saving appliances. Anything that saves energy will save you money and reduce pollution caused by energy production.
4. Put up weather stripping around your doors and windows.
5. Turn down the thermostat in the winter. Just a few degrees is all it takes to save both money and energy.
6. Use fluorescent bulbs instead of the traditional incandescent ones. This is a small change that can make a big impact.
7. Unplug electronics when they’re not in use. They burn a surprising amount of electricity just sitting there.
8. Utilize renewable energy if possible. Some power companies offer it as an alternative to power produced by burning coal. If yours doesn’t, why not start a campaign to encourage them to start doing so.
9. Install your own solar panels to make use of renewable energy. This will also save you money in the long run.
10. Recycle. Recycling not only saves valuable natural resources, it also saves a significant amount of energy and pollution as compared to making new products from scratch.
11. Buy recycled products whenever possible.
12. Plant trees. Something as simple as planting a few shade trees around the house can make a difference. It will reduce the amount of energy you use for cooling in the summer. Trees also absorb carbon dioxide, preventing some of it from ending up in the atmosphere.
13. Buy products with minimal packaging.
14. Support legislation aimed at reducing pollution, conserving energy and preserving forests.
15. Spread the word about global warming. Encourage friends and family to take steps to reduce waste and become more energy efficient.
These are just a few easy steps we can all take to help fight global warming. Anything that conserves energy and reduces our dependence on fossil fuel can have a positive impact on the environment. Once we’ve adjusted our habits, the next step is to encourage others to do so and support government action to ensure that corporations become more environmentally responsible.