When our bodies are healthy, our minds are usually healthy as well. Being in good health gives us more energy and a better attitude. But it is important not to take these gifts for granted. We must take steps to maintain our physical and mental health. If one is suffering, the other will often follow.
There are lots of things we can do to keep our minds and bodies healthy. Here are a few to consider:
* Work out regularly. Obviously this is good for our bodies, but it is also good for our minds. Intense physical exercise helps relieve stress, and it can boost our self-esteem. Try to participate in some substantial physical activity each day, and work out at least three times a week.
* Eat a nutritious diet. Healthy foods give us the nutrients our bodies need to fight off disease and maintain a healthy weight. They also give us the energy we need to exercise and participate in everyday activities.
* Get plenty of rest. If we’re not getting enough sleep at night, we have less energy during the day. Our mental health also suffers. Getting in our 8 hours every night is more important than most of us realize.
* Keep tabs on your health. Find a doctor that you like and respect, and go to her for annual checkups. Some health problems can sneak up on you, but regular physicals can facilitate early detection and make treatment easier and more effective.
* Kick bad habits. Smoking, drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, and overeating can all adversely affect our physical health. By putting these habits to rest, we can feel better both physically and mentally.
* Give yoga a try. It may not seem as intense as other forms of exercise, but yoga has numerous benefits. It can improve our flexibility and strength, and it puts our minds in a tranquil state. It can contribute greatly to our physical and mental wellbeing.
* Meditate. If your mind is cluttered or you have a negative outlook, meditation can help. It can increase your mental clarity and help you see things in a more positive light.
* Participate in activities you enjoy. Staying healthy doesn’t have to be dull and boring. Finding a sport or other physical activity that you look forward to participating in will allow you to have fun while doing something that is good for your body. And, of course, having fun is great for your mental state.
Staying healthy requires some effort, but it makes our lives longer and more enjoyable. This applies not only to our bodies, but also to our minds. Taking the time to keep our minds and bodies in good shape allows us to be happier and more productive, and to get more out of life.